Monday, April 14, 2014

Bess

Okay, here goes.

On Wednesday, April 2nd, Bess was diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

On Thursday, April 3rd, the results of Bess' chest x-rays were back from the radiologist.  The cancer had already metastasized to her lungs.

On Thursday, April 10th, I let Bess go.
I love this dog.  I'm not really okay with using past tense for her right now.  At the time of her diagnosis I could not understand how someone so vibrant and full of life could get shafted like this.  And now I'm missing her happy, uplifting presence something fierce.

I cannot come up with the words to do her proper justice right now.  Her wonderful breeder put out a very touching eulogy of Bess.  When I've had a little more time to put together something more significant, I will share all of that.  For the moment, here's to my little crackhead for being such a fantastic part of my life.

5 comments:

Kennedy said...

I love you, Bess. To know you alongside Lindsay for the past 6 years...there aren't words. My heart is shattered for you, Lindsay, and I know that doesn't begin to touch your grief. Bess, you were an enigma, a gem, and will never, ever be forgotten. Will all our love. Vegas and Kennedy.

brooke said...

I am so sorry to hear about Bess!
Our thoughts are with you and Heffner! Big big hugs and giant Dane kisses to you both!

Amy / Layla the Malamute said...

Oh I am so, so sorry about Bess. I lost my Casey (lab) to osteo also. It's devastating how quick it takes them. I ended up letting him go on my birthday. Such an awful disease. You and Heffner are in my thoughts :(

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

Love that last picture.
I'm so sorry.

STELLA and RORY from Down Under said...

Hi all. Just came across your blog and ready about the loss of your girl Bess. We too lost one of our danes to this hideous disease. Sending you sincere sympathy.
No worries, and love, Carol (and Stella and Rory)