Friday, October 8, 2010

Book of the Month

My pick for Book of the Month for October is "How to Meditate With Your Dog" by James Jacobsen and Kristine Chandler Madera. When I started thinking about trying meditation and trying it with the dogs, I figured this book would be a great way to sort of figure things out. Unfortunately, I feel like it kind of falls short. To be perfectly honest, I think you can find roughly the same information by searching around online. While Jacobsen at one point states that he didn't want to make the book too long in order to save trees, I actually feel like he was writing this book with a specific word count in mind and was having a hard time coming up with enough content to get there.

While it is always nice to hear people's personal experiences and their take on things, I actually didn't find this book all that helpful. It was pretty superficial. While there were some helpful tips on how to get started, like I already said, it wasn't anything that you couldn't find online by surfing around.

In a nut shell, I would recommend that people save their money and not purchase this book. A friend of mine who has done meditation and has also tried incorporating her great danes into it sent me an email in response to my meditation post and gave me some great recommendations that I do plan on sharing as well. From her synopsis, those books, while not dog related, would be LOADS more helpful than this book.


And with that, I am off to do a little meditating (I think I'm going to have a recurring post about this topic on Mondays for Meditation Mondays ;o), 'cause I'm clever like that) with the dogs, then baths for both, and some lovely sleep before our rally trial tomorrow. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Sam said...

I've had lots of suggestions from my blog readers that I should meditate to relieve stress. But I'm not sure if I'd be able to get in to it.

Best of luck tomorrow at your Rally trial!