Monday, July 12, 2010

Magazine of the Month

My pick for Magazine of the Month for July is The Canine Chronicle! This is an all breed magazine that has some serious heft to it. I actually got this issue from Georgia the day I picked the dogs up. Traffic was bad on the way home and she figured I could use the reading material. Yeah, that kind of fun traffic.

While my interest in dogs lies in great danes, I also really enjoy conformation. It's interesting to me to leaf through the advertisements and see if I can recognize any of the dogs and/or handlers. As a newer exhibitor to conformation, I think there is a fair amount that can be gained from these publications. There's a whole interesting world of etiquette in the conformation world, and I think that it's wise to kind of be at least some what familiar with who's who so as not to step on any toes. It's also really nice to have some sort of base knowledge so that if you're in a larger group of people from various breed backgrounds, you can follow along with the conversations. While it may seem like it's "just" a means for people to advertise their dogs and get their names out there, it's also a great way for newbies to familiarize themselves with the dog show world as a whole and really start to feel like they're part of it.

While advertisements make up the majority of the pages in this magazine (as they do with the majority of these publications), there are also a variety of dog related articles. From judging, to breed specifics, to the fancy as a whole; there are articles within that are worth reading.

1 comment:

houndstooth said...

I always get in trouble when I pick those types of magazines up because my dream dog list starts growing rapidly!