Thursday, May 5, 2011

Good Boy!!

Heffner was an UBER good boy today for the talent show!! I have to admit that even I was a little surprised with how good his attention was. It wasn't until I brought him into the auditorium that I realized that we might have a little problem with the many new distractions around him. 1) He was inside an auditorium that he had never been in before. 2) There were going to be numerous people that he had never met, watching him. 3) I had forgotten that the center provides a pretty nice spread of food for those coming to watch. Which meant many delicious aromas coming from just a couple of feet from where we'd be working.

The boy totally rocked it though! While not every single trick went exactly perfectly on the first try, it was comical enough to get laughs from the audience. Sometimes not even in intended parts, such as while I was putting the weave poles in place and Heffner started walking back and forth through them. His attention was excellent though! He didn't go and visit any of the audience people. Which is most impressive since some of the seats were literally two feet from where he was working. Way to go Heff!!

The run down of our tricks was: going through the agility tunnel, weave poles, all four feet on the balance disc (I'll have a video shortly of both dogs doing this for my conditioning blurb), four feet in a box (with me holding up the box that Bess would have used if she hadn't contracted what I "affectionately" call the Bloody Butt Disease), and balancing on the 120 cm ball. Did I mention that I was able to get another 120 cm ball for a super fantastic price?? Well I did, and it was helpful for today.

Much of what I included today was based on feedback that I got from friends as to what they thought was cool that my dogs could do. Since I know what my dogs' strengths and weaknesses are, there are some things that I think are great that they can do that might not be as impressive to others because they don't know the difficulty level for my dogs. And subsequently there are things that I know they are fully capable of and therefore take for granted that others might find pretty neat. So with help from some friends, I figured out a line up that definitely entertained the crowd.

I will hopefully have some pictures and maybe even a snippet of video from our performance that I will be able to post later.:0) In the mean time, I'm very proud of how well Heffner did!

2 comments:

MurphyDog said...

Congratulations Heff! That's the way to show all those folks that us Great Danes can do anything!

wags, wiggles & slobbers
Murphydog

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

That's fantastic!!