Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer vs. Winter

As beautiful and relatively nice as the summer is, I honestly prefer winter. This may seem a little weird. Winters in the northwest are generally overcast and rainy. Not exactly go out and have fun conditions. But I beg to differ!


In the summer there are more hourse of daylight. However, those hours of daylight are pretty full of temperatures that are really too warm to do anything in. You either have to get up really early or stay up really late to run around and do things like hiking. Granted, it is ideal weather for swimming, and we do take ample advantage of that. It's just not the same though!


During the winter there are less people hiking on the trails. The weather may be overcast and drizzly, but we usually manage to evade outright downpours and neither the dogs or I are bothered by a little drizzle. The temperatures also are at decent temperatures to run around and really get a workout in without having to worry about over heating. I don't have to worry about packing lots of water around with me so that the dogs stay hydrated because there are usually creeks and little pools of water that the dogs can drink from. The dogs also just get a better workout because they don't get totally zapped by the exertion combined with the heat.


It's also usually too hot to do any skijoring or scootering. Basically, it takes a whole lot more effort for me to get these guys exercised. And I'm sort of a heat wimp. And Heffner isn't great in the heat. **sigh**

On the up side, we do get to trade skijoring for swimming, which is a really good activity. If I could only get Bess to think that it's as much fun as Heffner does! I'll be posting more about one of our newer summer time endeavors throughout this month!!


2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'VE GOT A COUPLE PICTURES OF WHITE GREAT DANES (1 DEAF 1 BLIND) THEY ARE SO GREAT TO SEE @ DOG BEACH. ALONG W/THE OTHER DOGS IN THE AREA :)

STOP BY
HIGH FIVE..
KIMBERLY & BELL

Kimberly said...

THANK YOU :)
I DID FORGET TO WARN THAT I TAKE too many pictures :)

cant help it.. i have to share them all!