Sunday, December 4, 2016

Blogmas Day 4 - The Tree!


There's something about a Christmas tree that really makes it feel like Christmas. :) Except for last year, from Miley's perspective.  Last year I got a little overzealous with the "fullness" of my tree and picked a tree that was slightly oversized for my living room...



After getting it into the house, I over pruned the back side of it, causing the tree to be front heavy.  I didn't even consider the physics of the situation until the tree toppled over in the middle of the night.  In my defense, it did stay upright for three days before it fell.  Unfortunately, Miley was sleeping on the couch at the time and as you can imagine, having a giant tree falling over and seemingly trying to kill you, can be fairly traumatic.  Several ornaments were broken in the process to one extent or another.  Some shattered beyond being salvageable and some just needed a little glue and they were good as new.  In hind sight, I wish that I had taken pictures of what I found.  At the time, the huge mess and the resulting terrified dog were not even remotely amusing.

This year I opted for a moderately sized tree and I'm really happy with the one that I picked.  I'm confident that it'll stay upright, but with the addition of Dominic, and more importantly, his tail, I'm not entirely sure how many ornaments will survive.  As of this blog post, we have only lost one to the perils of his ever enthusiastically happy tail.  This year I also decided to video tape the various steps in getting the tree up and decorated.  Or more specifically, I video taped the dogs "helping."  I picked the tree up last Sunday, and decided to split the process of getting the tree up and decorated across three week nights so that I was still able to fit my normal week night activities in.  Here is our tree decorating process:


As you can see from the video, Miley is still hesitant around the tree, but she is making progress.  Currently she's passed out on the couch with Dominic and isn't bothered.

No comments: