Monday, February 28, 2011

Weekend Wrap Up

I didn't get around to doing a weekend wrap up yesterday due to some Oscar watching fun, but there's really not much to say. On Saturday I took the dog's out to our obedience club's training facility for the first time for a match. The place is really quite nice and the dogs did quite well. I didn't warm Heffner up too much and that was obvious by his lack of wanting to actually sit as we were setting up for the various exercises. Bess was pretty adorable with some of the stuff that she does. The one area that I really need to work both dogs on is speed transitions on the figure eights. Heffner generally gets it better than Bess in our lessons, but on Saturday they were both lack luster. I would have liked to stick around a while longer to watch the upper levels, but we had a birthday party to get to and I still wanted to take the dogs for a run. So obedience match, two thumbs up!


Sunday Bess and I were supposed to go up to the mountain for a skijoring race. I had everything packed and ready to go the night before. Got up with my alarm. Then I got into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. Did I really want to drive over an hour and a half each way, sit in my truck for four or five hours waiting our turn, only to go out and spend 20 some odd minutes running the course? Not really. I haven't done that before, but I decided right there that we weren't going up to the mountain. I crawled back into bed and got a few more hours of delicious sleep. After puttering around the house for a while, I loaded both dogs up and we went for a hike. The are that we went to even still had snow! And the best part? The only tracks along the road were ours.:0)
As a side note, Heffner is coming back stronger than ever in his exercise routine! I'm really pleased! On our runs, he's out ahead and keeping tension on the leash going out and coming back. When we're hiking, he self regulates really well, but also stays strong. With the ball work, he almost literally attacks it. You can just tell that he's thrilled to be getting active again. My only word of warning has been to not let him get tired out so that his muscles don't slip back into the muscle memory of improper alignment. That hasn't even been close to an issue. The boy starts strong and ends strong. I'm lovin' it!


No comments: