Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting started!

I've been toying around with the idea of doing a blog for a little while. I thought it would be a fun way to just sort of talk about the experiences that I've had and what I've been up to with my dogs. I love Facebook and how I'm able to stay in contact with so many people, but I don't really want to ramble on forever on there. So, I decided to go for it and get this set up! This first blog will be pretty short. I just sort of wanted to introduce myself (though I'm not really sure why, because it's pretty much people I already know that I'll pass this along to!). My name is Lindsay and I live in the great state of Oregon with my husband and two great danes. I absolutely LOVE my dogs!! I'll give a little description of them.:O)

Heffner is our 3 year old, natural eared, mantle merle male. We've had him since he was a puppy and he's totally my baby! We're competing in agility right now and that's a lot of fun! We've also competed in skijoring in the past, but he's really not a fan of the sport when he's by himself. When he's hooked up to Bess he seems to actually enjoy himself a bit. We're also in the process of training for tracking and dock diving. He's got a natural nose and likes to follow sents when we're out hiking and I just figured it would be great to actually test that out. The dock diving came about because I just thought that it would be a ton of fun! He hasn't TECHNICALLY jumped off of either the practice puppy dock or the competition dock, but he has stepped off of both! Thankfully he loves to swim, so I think it's just a matter of him figuring everything out.

Bess is our 2 year old, natural eared, fawn girl. We've had her since she was just under a year old. She has been a crack up since we got her! She's always happy and always wanting to go and do something. Her energy seems to be boundless! At the end of this month she will be in her very first agility trial!! I'm a little nervous about juggling two dogs at a trial, but I think it'll work out fine. She is also in training for tracking since she is so fond of tracking and chasing deer, I figured it was only natural to hone those skills. I've done some skijoring practice with Bess, but we haven't actually competed yet. She REALLY took to the whole pulling thing and is actually a little scary when she's hooked up to me by herself. She doesn't quite understand stop! Or even slow down for that matter! Right now Bess isn't a HUGE fan of the water so I haven't taken her to a dockdogs practice yet, but eventually I would like to. I just have to get her swimming on her own! And finally, we also compete in conformation! So far we have three points towards her AKC championship and I'm hoping that we really start cooking!

With the two dogs, I'm a member of the Columbia Agility Team and the Cascade Dockdogs. I also usually take them on some sort of hike at least once a week. Helps to keep us both in shape! That's all for now!

No comments: