Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Little This and That

This post will be sort of a hodge podge of things. Mia got another Reserve Winners Bitch today! We showed much later than yesterday and it was getting hot. She was a little more fidgety with me stacking her back feet than yesterday or the day before and I'm chalking it up to that. I'm still really pleased with how she's doing! Her dad Jeff and my friend Kati's boyfriend Steve took some pictures of us in the ring today and I will hopefully have some pictures to share. She's really maturing and coming into her own and there were some pictures that Jeff got today where she looked so lovely! It's really exciting to see them grow up and mature.

It has been exactly a week since Bess had her slash and gash incident. I took a picture of what it looks like a week after being sewed up. Even though the drains have been removed, the bottom drain is still draining. You'll be able to see that in the picture. I guess it's a good thing that it's still draining and the fluid isn't still building up inside. Unfortunately that means that Bess is still having to wear a shirt around the house. We don't gate her off any more and she's been great about just leaving the shirt on. I'll be really happy when she can go completely "naked" again.

As you can see, a lot of the welling and bruising has gone away. There's still some swelling left, but I'm sure that will be gone soon enough.

While this is small potatoes, I bought a new Zoom Groom! The teeth on our old one were really worn down and I figured that it was time to replace it.
I am soooooo glad that I did!! I got a ridiculous amount of hair off of both dogs! I LOVE it when I can get so much hair off! Because they're both blowing a fair amount of coat right now, I'll probably up them to getting curried twice a week. My normal year round routine is to curry them once a week. Bess will slow down in the winter to losing almost no hair when I curry her. Heffner, however, drops a fair amount of coat year round. It's just roughly twice a year that he really blows his coat.

And last but not least, the dogs and I had a little fun last night. I don't have either dog entered in any AKC events until the end of July. And since we were having a nice and relaxing evening last night and I had some "free" time, I felt that it was definitely time that I got the dogs a little ready for the upcoming 4th of July holiday.:o) That's right folks, I painted their toe nails!! Not just theirs, but I painted mine to match!
I haven't been keeping up on the pawticures as much as I would like because we've had AKC events going on for at least one of the dogs every couple of weeks. And since AKC doesn't allow artificial alterations on dogs that are competing in their events, it was really pointless for me to paint their nails just to have to take it off within a week. We finally have a few weeks off and I took full advantage of that!

5 comments:

houndstooth said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has fun with painting their toenails once in a while! I usually just do it for nursing home visits or odd special occasions.

Bess is looking much better! What a lucky girl!

Two Pitties in the City said...

We were out of town during the slash/gash event, and I had went back to read the posts and was just horrified...I'm glad she's doing so much better.
And thanks for the reminder about the Zoom Grooml I was just looking at ours and noting how worn down it had become. It's kind of weird because it's actually worn down from the dogs' bodies.

Sam said...

Totally cute toenail shot. Best of luck to Bess, sounds like her injury is healing slowly but surely!

Mia said...

Glad to hear Bess is doing better!!! Hope she is naked soon! Love the matching pedicures!!!

Jess

Anonymous said...

The stitches looks great! Yes it is good that it still drains! But those toes!!! JUST LOVELY!!!!