Thursday, January 26, 2012

Idita Walk 2012

February 1st is the start of the 2012 Idita Walk! The premise of the Idita-walk is that you shoot for walking 1,049 minutes between February 1st and March 31st. Once you sign up and pay your "entry fee," you gain access to an online log that will allow you enter your daily totals throughout the course of the event. It's a great way to encourage people to be a little healthier, get their dogs more exercise, and promote the Iditarod a little. I've already signed myself up for it this year and I'm looking forward to keeping a better online record of how I'm doing.

I participated in the event last year and exceeded my goals. Of course it helps that I didn't go crazy over board because I knew that I would be wanting to up the stakes this year. I am going to continue to only count the time I spend with the dogs towards my daily minutes. However, I'm going to add in a little twist.;0)

Two years ago I did a little pedometer challenge. I've been wanting to do something with that again and I think this is the perfect opportunity! Starting February 1st all the way through the end of the Idita Walk, I'm going to wear my pedometer and I'm going to do a weekly breakdown as to where I'm at with the dogs with regards to activity minutes (we do a lot more than just walking together, so I figured I'd call it activity minutes versus walking minutes) and where I'm at personally with the pedometer. Since it's been a while since I've done the pedometer challenge, I don't really know roughly how many steps I'm putting in in a day. I'm going to use February as my baseline period, figure out my average daily steps, and then shoot for increasing that average during the month of March. I haven't yet determined how much I want to try to increase by. We'll just have to see how that pans out.

Last year my goal for the Idita Walk was to put in 2,089 activity minutes with the dogs. I am going to increase this goal for this year to 2,500 minutes. I think this could be a lot of fun! Anyone else planning on joining in either via the Idita Walk or just doing this as a personal challenge?

And with that I'm off to take care of doggy toe nails and get ready for the start of Clicker Expo tomorrow morning!

No comments: